The medical community uses a tool called the Body Mass Index chart to classify underweight, overweight and obesity for adults. According to the BMI chart, I'm morbidly obese. Yet, when I ask myself, ‘how do you define plus size' the word obese is completely out of the equation.
There are so many different words to describe being of large stature; plus size, fat, overweight, obese, curvy, fluffy, big boned, chubby, curvaceous, voluptuous, stocky, plump, BBW, heavy set, zaftig, and so on.
I've fully comfortable self-identifying as plus size (and even don't mind fat) so after a few hours of tossing ideas around I came up with Plus Size Mommy Memoirs (now shortened to Plus Mommy).
On the Plus Mommy Facebook page people sometimes ask how I define plus size and when does someone become plus size.
What Does Plus Size Mean?
I define being plus size as wearing a larger clothing size. Most stores start their women's section with size 12 or 14 so when I reached that size I started to consider myself plus size.
The dictionary also defines plus size in relationship to clothing size.
1. (Clothing & Fashion)
a. a clothing size designed for people who are above the average sizel
- Two words: Lane Bryant
- When I grew out of Hot Topic, and headed for Torrid. What a better choice!
- When the back of my bra had 4 hooks instead of 2.
- When I felt confident in my own skin to admit it and knew it wasn't a bad thing that I didn't feel bad about myself.
- When I applied for a drivers license my family made me lie on the weight
- When a boy called me thunder thighs in 3rd grade.
- Fat And Pregnant – 7 Things I Wish I Would Have Known - September 9, 2021
- How To Talk About Plus Size Pregnancy Risks In A New Way - September 1, 2021
- Is My Vagina Too Fat To Give Birth? Yes, This Is A Real Question! - August 23, 2021