We're answering the question, can plus size women birth twins vaginally, with one mom's birth story!
About 75% of twins are born via c-section but more and more women, like Katie, are desiring a vaginal birth.
Finding a doctor who will be supportive can be challenging. Once that hurdle is over, giving birth vaginally to twins is quite a different experience in the hospital compared to giving birth to one baby.
Labor occurs in a comfortable labor and delivery room but the birth of the babies almost always takes place in a sterile operating room.
It's a big decision and it's not for everyone but new research is coming out supporting a mother's desire to have a vaginal birth with twins.
Disclosure: Plus Size Birth is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
Plus Size Women Can Birth Twins Vaginally
This is Katie's birth story…
I went in for induction on Monday night, they put in the Cervadil at 8:30 pm.
By 3 am I was cramping and crabby because my monitors would *not* stay in place on my stomach as I was sleeping. So I got no actual rest.
By 5 am I was having mild contractions. The Cervadil stayed in until 7:30 when I was 3 cm. Then I took a shower and got ready for birth.
They placed my epidural at 8. I had edema so it was incredibly difficult – it took him 35 minutes and a call for backup. I was having contractions throughout and it sucked.
My Mom was there to hold me in place and try to keep me calm.
It was only about 80% effective and left a window of pain that just so happened to overlap my pulled muscle (yay). They decided to supplement with fentanyl instead of trying again.
I got to stay in my nice room for a few hours, where I discovered that I completely forgot everything I thought myself about pain management.
Plus Size Twin Mom Resources
- The Happiest Baby on the Block (Not specifically twin related but it is AMAZING. It talks about going back to old ways based on the motherly intuition we tend to ignore.)
- Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins
- Dad's Guide to Twins: How to Survive the Twin Pregnancy and Prepare for Your Twins
- Mothering Multiples: Breastfeeding and Caring for Twins or More! (La Leche League International Book)
- My biggest tip in the end: Find a local twins club. The other moms were and still are my best resource!
- Fat And Pregnant – 7 Things I Wish I Would Have Known - September 9, 2021
- How To Talk About Plus Size Pregnancy Risks In A New Way - September 1, 2021
- Is My Vagina Too Fat To Give Birth? Yes, This Is A Real Question! - August 23, 2021